Tokyo Pop-Up Book: A Comic Adventure with Neko the Cat
Tokyo Pop-Up Book cleverly pairs cultural and geographical information with artful paper engineering and an exciting storyline. Follow Chico, a thirteen-year-old photography enthusiast, and his mischievous cat Neko as they travel to the world's largest city. It doesn't take long for things to go off course when Neko decides to do some sightseeing on her own!
As the pair travels the twists and turns of Tokyo, they pass through unique sites, each with an action pop-up to discover:
- Asakusa Temple, an ancient Buddhist temple where their adventure begins
- Akihabara Station, a thriving shopping district above
- A stadium where a rousing Sumo match is in progress
- Shinjuku Station, where riders are packed into trains by professional "pushers"
- The imposing Tokyo Skytree tower, the tallest structure in Japan
- The base of iconic Mt. Fuji, where the adventure has its happy conclusion
Author Sam Ita studied graphic design at Pratt Institute in Brooklyn before following his passion for paper engineering. He draws inspiration from comics, origami, and machines, applying his craft to publishing, advertising, animation, display, and toy design.
Winner of Moonbeam Children's Book Award, 2018
Age Range: 5-10 years
Hardcover: 14 pages of full-color pop-ups
Publisher: Tuttle Publishing; Illustrated edition (May 29, 2018)
Product Dimensions: 7.8 x 1.6 x 7.7 inches